30 June – 2 July 2018
Ghent University, Belgium
The Society for Philosophy of Science in Practice (SPSP) is an interdisciplinary community of scholars who approach the philosophy of science with a focus on scientific practice and the practical uses of scientific knowledge. For further details on our objectives, see our mission statement on our website.
The SPSP conferences provide a broad forum for scholars committed to making detailed and systematic studies of scientific practices — neither dismissing concerns about truth and rationality, nor ignoring contextual and pragmatic factors. The conferences aim at cutting through traditional disciplinary barriers and developing novel approaches. We welcome contributions from not only philosophers of science, but also philosophers working in epistemology and ethics, as well as the philosophy of engineering, technology, medicine, agriculture, and other practical fields. Additionally, we welcome contributions from historians and sociologists of science, pure and applied scientists, and any others with an interest in philosophical questions regarding scientific practice.
- William Bechtel, University of California at San Diego
- Sabina Leonelli, University of Exeter
- Maarten Van Dyck, Ghent University
- Alison Wylie, University of Washington
- Abstract submission deadline: 15 January 2018
- Notification of acceptance: 7 March 2018
- Pre-conference workshop: 29 June 2018
- Main conference: 30 June till 2 July 2018.